Sunday, October 11, 2015

Nayeon Kim / Response to task 3.2 / Narrative Composition / Tuesday 11am

Since it is getting closer to midterm, I went to a local café to study with my friend. The café is big compared to others in the area and usually there are not so much people in there with plenty of seats. However this time, with the dreaded exam drawing near, there were practically no seats available in there. Me and my friend found a place and sat down. I was writing a report for another writing class I am taking, and when it came to a point when I can't take looking into wordy news articles to back up my story, I realized that I got another response to write for this class.

I looked up from my laptop and noticed a woman sitting next to me. My dear friend did not bring the cables for her own laptop so she had to use the computer in the café, which means that I got another outlet available for the stranger next to me. She asked me if she could use this and then I decided that I will observe and write about her. She might get frustrated if she notice that I am writing about her, but I am sure that she will not see what I am writing about.

The seat she is sitting on is placed somewhat lower to where I am sitting, and it is just impossible for her to peak into my laptop without me noticing. However the upper seat, where I am sitting, makes it possible for me to have full access to what that person is doing on the desk. I found out that she is tapping into a calculator fiercely. I have a friend who majors in engineering-the full name consists words like fusion and chemistry but I do not know what she studies exactly. She also used some expensive calculator when she studied. However the one that the stranger is using is a normal one, and I guess that she is studying economics. The book lying open on the desk has some charts in it which I never got a chance to look at because my eyesight is not that great. She has been saying things aloud, though inaudible to me, as if she is teaching someone and she is taking notes on both her paper and laptop. I never studied economics, but know that I have to study that in the future in order to get a job. Suddenly the future does not seem so rosy as I thought. I am definitely not familiar with numbers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment