Monday, October 19, 2015

Lee, Eun Young/ Week 7 Final Draft / Narrative Composition Tue3-4

My dad

201202631 Lee, Eun Young

My dad is 51 years old but he looks much younger than that. He has black and half curly hair. He doesn't have many white hairs yet. He has round dark brown color eye brow and double eyelids. His eyes are big and deep like cow's eyes. He often blinks his eyes these days when looking at the close objects for he is already in his 50s. He is 173 cm, not that tall but not small either. When he ran his businesses, he only wore suits even in home but these days he started to wear comfortable clothes too. His had white and clean skins even whiter than my mom, but because he works a lot under the sun these days his skin gets darker and darker. People often say that my dad is handsome. Even his wrinkles make him look more like a gentle handsome man. However what really makes him handsome and unique is his smile.

His smile is really special. Everyone likes his smile because his smile makes everyone happy. He has the brightest smile like a sun shine, the most adorable smile like a five year old boy and the most generous smile like a Sejong the Great in the 10,000 bill. So he is often called as a smile man. His beautiful smile shows what kind of person he is. My dad has strong but delicate personality. He's very strict yet amazingly warm-hearted. When doing his jobs he is serious and prudent but in ordinary life he likes joking and playing tricks on us. These characteristics of him were built through his efforts to fight against a hollow sea of life.

He was the eldest son of six siblings. My grandpa had only one leg because he got injured during the Korean War. So from the early age, he had to take care of his family. He had to be strong enough to protect his family from harsh life. When he was a high school student, he was selected to be a researcher of one institute for he was a smart student. However, he had to earn money urgently for his parents and for his younger brother. He had no choice but to give up that job and worked as a baker in a local bread store. After few years, he opened a little book store. I still remember that I spend quite a lot of time in the attic of that book store, and when there were no customers he often read books to me. Although that attic was narrow and had low ceiling and the air was dusty and stuffy, I had nostalgic feeling toward that little attic. Also the background of playing with lots of books made me love reading books. Unfortunately, that store went to bankrupt, so he sold it with gulping down tears. Even after that he suffered from lots of harsh environments until I became about a 10. Recently my mom told me how hard the life was at that moment. She said that sometimes she didn't even have money to prepare a meal. However, even during the hardest moment, my dad never behaved harsh to family members. He never lost his warmness. He always smiled at me and he tried his best to spend lots of time with the family. Now, he's already in his 50s so he doesn't spend much time on his work, but at his best days he owned and ran three companies.

The biggest interest these days to him is to build a new house. We used to live in Busan until 2011. After I got into the university, our family moved to several places including the United States. Now we live in Jangsung in Jeonla province. He started to build new house there since March of this year. It's almost done but not completed yet. So he goes to a construction site of the house almost every day to see how things are processed. This summer vacation I went to home and saw our new house is being built. Interestingly, the house looked like my dad. I could see the house does reflect characteristics of the one who made it. The house looks solid and stable but also delicate and subtle.

I can say my dad is the one who influences me the most. How he lived his life often encourages me when I'm facing some harsh circumstances. He didn't say anything to me directly but his life itself is a great encouragement to me. I not only love him as my dad but also respect him as my life role model.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment