Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Nayeon Kim / Final Draft / Narrative Composition / Tuesday 11am

Every girl dreams about their own prince charming. For me, it was a member of an idol group whose name I would not mention. I did not have an interest in those things before I went to high school, but the initial reason why I started, or pretended like I had one was to make friends. The magical topic that melted the boundaries between girls was the idol groups. Most of the friend groups were made by the idols that they liked. I was not that big of a fan but in order to talk to the girls that I liked, I had to be familiar with the idol that they liked.

That was the beginning of my fantasy. Since I went to a high school for girls, I did not have a chance to date a real boy if I did not try. Although I never dreamed about dating that idol, but I fantasized about some romance I would have when I go to college and meeting "the one" who has the look of the idol. It was a way for me to depart from the grim reality of being a senior in high school student and make the reality vanish. In my daydream, he was a savior who would pull me out from the agony that harsh reality threw on me. He would whisk me up on a modern-day white horse, a nice car

Although I was not obsessed with the actual person from the idol group, I even went to the idol's signing event with my friends just to get the glimpse of the boys passing by. It was an exciting experience that I would not forget. Not because of the idols but for the time that I spent with my friends, anticipating if they were really the prince charming that I have been dreaming of.

However, it is not the memorable experience that I would like to describe. I was freshly starting the new chapter of my life as a college student when I heard the news. My friend found out that there was an opening in the job as an interpreter in the idol's concert. Obviously we took the job and were able to watch the concert on the floor that was closest to the stage. I was drunk in their performance after the show was over when I saw one of the idols started weeping. He said, "It has been so hard for us prepare for this concert. I am grateful that you guys are here to cheer for us."

Witnessing the incident, suddenly it dawned on me that they were merely no more than a human being as I was. I thought about how I was depressed when my dream schools rejected me and only got accepted to so-called safety schools. I was young, and have never felt so desperate in need of a good cry. It seems like I subconsciously had the sense that they were unearthly, unreachable beings who did not have human emotion. Then I realized that there is no such thing as the "prince charming" that tore out from the pages of my imaginative romance novel. They are merely as human as I am. It was the end of my pet fantasy, but it made me realize the harsh reality that there is no one but me who can solve my own problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment