Saturday, October 31, 2015

Kim Hee Sun/ Chapter 4 First Draft/ Narrative Composition Tue 3 4

 The most memorable place in my life is the dormitory I lived in when I was a high school student. Every semester students had to move to different rooms and meet different roommates, but the most memorable room was room 416, the first dorm room in my entire life.

 

 The dormitory building had 5 floors. Floor 1 and 2 was for boys and floor 4, 5 was for girls. The 3rd floor was for teachers. As you might have already guessed, my first room was at 4th floor since the room number was 416. The room was at the end of the long, long corridor. Opening the heavy, turquoise door, the first thing I could see was a small square front door with a wooden shoe shelf which could keep only a few shoes. Inside the room, there were four bunk beds. There were desks on the first floor of the beds so that we could study. The desks were large enough to handle a lot of books and other stuffs such as cosmetics. And the second floor of the bunks had beds to sleep on. The sheets were dark brown, and the blankets had vivid orange color. I remember liking the blankets a lot because they were very soft and fluffy. In order to go up to the second floor of the bunk to sleep, we had to climb up a ladder. It felt cold whenever I climb the ladder since they were made up of iron. Beside the desks, there were little closets so we could put in our clothes. My closet used to be always messy with unfolded clothes. The dorm room was not that big so the room didn't have that much of spare space for 4 people. When we were sitting on the chairs to study, my back would meet the back of the roommate on the opposite side. The toilet was right next to the front door. It was not so big either, but enough for one person to have shower and do one's business. I can remember the warm, orange light of the toilet which somehow made me feel comfortable. On the middle of the wall, there was a little window. It was very small –almost the size of a computer screen. Sometimes we could hear dogs barking through the window late at night which made us very annoyed.

 

 At first glance, room 416 might seem stuffy and uncomfortable since it's really small. However, with the memories me and my roommates made in the room, the room has become the best place in my entire life. Since we had to share one room, it took very little time to get close to each other. Every night when all the lights are gone, we climb up to the beds and talk for hours about our school life. We talked about gossips at school and mostly talked about boys. It felt as if I was on camping every night. Sometimes we hide secret things like instant cup noodles in my messy closet so that the dorm inspectors cannot find out. They could never find out since my clothes were piled up mountain-high. At that time, we were officially banned for food from outside such as noodles or chicken. But, as teenagers, we felt excitement when doing forbidden behaviors. After the roll call at night, we quietly go into the toilet and lock the door carefully, trying not to make any noises and hoping not to catch the inspector's attention. Inside the toilet, we pour hot water into the cup and wait impatiently for the noodles to be properly cooked. We had to be careful for the smell because it could leak out to the corridor, so we used deodorizing agents like febreze a lot. The midnight feast was awesome. It was more delicious than any other cuisines in the world, at least for us. Sometimes we got caught because of the smell and got punishment, but it was still a very enjoyable moment.

 

 Other than that, we had tons of episodes made in the room 416. I cannot tell them all, but it was an amazing time and I had so much fun in room 416. For some people, when they see the dormitory rooms they had lived, they might recall the boring, suffocating atmosphere. However, for me, I had one of the most wonderful experiences at the dorm, and the room 416 reminds me of those memories which make me feel some kind of home sick. I miss those times when we liked each other without any conditions. I miss the times when we could giggle at night in the dark room on the second floor of bunks, sharing secrets. If I could choose one moment to go back to the past, I would definitely choose the time when I lived in room 416.

No comments:

Post a Comment