Sunday, September 13, 2015

Lim Jung-Yun/ Week2 assignment/ Tuesday 34

My attitude towards writing differs depending on the type of writing. When it comes to writing which sole purpose is to be evaluated and measured into a grade, it is hardly any surprise that I have hostile feelings toward it. When I was a high school senior preparing for college, I used to take TOEFL tests every 2 weeks to trying and repeatedly failing to get a high score. On top of that, I used to write at least a few TOEFL essays a day for practice. The pressure of having to present a complete piece of writing in less than a hour was nothing short of agonizing. Because of this, I still detest such TOEFL style essays with a burning passion in my heart. Unfortunately, being a university student double majoring in English literature and English interpretation and translation, I often find myself having to write such essays. I begrudgingly write them hating every single moment of it. As I result, I regret to say that the overall result is always below expectations.

Other than such, I enjoy most types of writing especially when I have the luxury of choosing my own topic freely. I am not exactly the diary writing type of person, but I do enjoy opportunities where I get to write about my personal experiences because it gives a sense of emotional release. When writing, I pay a lot of attention on making my writing readable and fun. As I am a student and not a professional writer, the people who read my writing do so because they are obliged to do so, not out of genuine enthusiasm. Even so, I try to make the process a bit more enjoyable than it has to for the reader. I remember the surprising delight I felt when a seemingly boring looking text book or mandatory reading makes me laugh. Because of this, I try my best to recreate that pleasure for others when I write as well. 

2 comments:

  1. Hello, I'm Lee Eun Young and I really enjyoed your writing.
    I was quite surprised by two reasons when reading your writing. Frist, you have pretty much same feeling toward writing with me. I didn't expect that I could find one who has similar feeling toward writing. Second, you are expressing similar idea but the way you write is totally different from me. It seems you like long and fancy sentences also, you like funny essay. I think I'm more attracted by genuine writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi I'm Yoo Jin Jeong.
    I can't help but agree with you on the TOEFL essay thing. Writing on a fixed topic in a limited amount of time in a rigid format was definitely stressful. I love how considerate you are towards your readers. I think that's an important trait for a writer.

    ReplyDelete