Saturday, September 19, 2015

Jang Won Woo / experience with writing first draft / Tuesday 11 am

In the festival period, many exciting events are happened. Many people were walking around and the campus was crowded. Each of booths was selling their own foods and beverages. For example, students who are studying the German were selling the German sausage; students who are studying the Turkish were selling the Turkish Kebob. A gigantic rubber slide was placed in campus, so, many people enjoyed it. Also, many bands, choirs and dancing team showed their performances to audiences. The band performs really excellent singing and playing and the dancing team performs a dynamic and powerful hip hop dance which makes the audiences surprise. Even singers who appear on TV show came here and showed their performance too. I enjoyed all of the festival in 2012, when I was freshmen. However, in 2013, when I was sophomore, the situation was not favorable.

                         As a member of HUFS MEDIA, I had to make video clips for the festival and prepared for live broadcasting. My friend and I were assigned to make the video clip for 'meeting with public figure' which is held at the first day. The public figure was Hong Seok Chun who is famous for Korean homosexual celebrity and running a lot of restaurants in Itaewon. But, we should conceal who would come here, so my friend and I made the video clip which consists of other public figures. Because I entered the HUFS MEDIA at second semester, I was not proficient video maker as much as my friend. My friend was advising me continuously. "It is too monotonous and even, we should change the movie more dynamic." "This font is not appropriate to this movie, I think, this one is better." I was confused, but, with my friend`s advice, the video clip was much better than the first one. We led the reactions from audiences as we expected. "What a faking prologue!" I was very excited that many people were immersed in our opening video.

                         At second day, we were preparing the live broadcast of concerts of the festival. We installed three cameras and tried to make a good view of a stage. A rehearsal was too long and boring. Too many performers were waiting for their own show. Seeing the performances as an audience and as a staff was very different. When I was the audience, I also enjoyed rehearsal, but, as the staff, I felt very boring and exhausted. Even it was so hot and shiny day that we became tired easily. In the evening, the show was begun. Many people around the HUFS came to the stage and were watching the show. Unlike the audiences, we, the staff of festival, were shooting the stage. While we were shooting, the scene was recorded automatically. A leader directed all of the cameras. "central camera, hold your scene." side camera, don`t move!" "Stage camera, zoom in the dancers." She led us to take a great view of the stage. Although it was tough tasks for all members, we completed the live broadcast well.

 

                         At the third day, the last day of festival, we reinstalled the cameras at the field and prepared the last show. Like second day, the show was begun in the evening. When we are shooting the show, nothing was appearing on a screen behind the stage. "It doesn't work! How can we fix it?" We were very embarrassed by the situation. We called a mechanical staff urgently and asked what happened. The staff found out the connection between cameras and screen was disconnected. We solved the problem then continued our work. However, we could not expect another hardship was waiting for us. The central camera, which is the main camera of the show and lent from a camera shop, was broken. It did not work. All of us were in the panic. We were waiting for the owner of camera with anxiety. He came here, then, he figured out what was happened and what was the problem of the camera. He fixed it and we felt very relieved. The last of the show, a popular hip hop duo 'supreme team', though they are disbanded now, visited the stage and showed off their performance. When they came here, I was handling the central camera far away from the stage. So, I could not watch them clearly. After we finished the festival, we felt that it is very difficult to prepare the festival and events and it is not easy to stand with camera at all times. Although we faced many hardships we were not expected, the experiences of the festival were thrilled and excited for me and all members of HUFS MEDIA.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, my name is taek min kim. whoo, you wrote a long essay. I found your experience very interesting, Filming a festival certainly isn’t a job for everyone; I respect your experience in HUFS MEDIA. However, one thing is that you have some garmmar issues on your writing; if you fix that it would be much better:) See you in class 귀요미:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the festival period, many exciting events happened. Loud music was pumping out of speakers. Many people were walking around and the campus was crowded. “Have some beverages! Have some snacks!” Each of booths was selling their own foods and beverages. “It was too high! How can I fall from here?” Besides them, a gigantic rubber slide was installed and many people were enjoying it. Many bands and teams were performing their own talents. Even singers who appear on TV show came here and showed their performance too. I enjoyed all of the festival, when I was freshmen. However, when I became sophomore, the situation was not favorable.
    “When we face a festival, it would be very busy and hard time for us.” When a leader of HUFS MEDIA at that time said that, I was a little bit worried. But, I was not much worried. However, my mistake was not continued so long. I had to make video clips for the festival and prepared for live broadcasting. One of my friend and I were assigned to make the video clip for ‘meeting with public figure’ which is held at the first day. But, we should conceal who would come here, so my friend and I made the video clip which consists of other public figures. Because I entered the HUFS MEDIA at second semester, I was not proficient video maker as much as my friend. My friend was advising me continuously. “It is too monotonous and even, we should change the movie more dynamic.” “This font is not appropriate to this movie, I think, this one is better.” I was confused, but, with my friend`s advice, the video clip was much better than the first one. We led the reactions from audiences as we expected. “What a faking prologue!” I was very excited that many people were immersed in our opening video.
    At second day, from early morning, we went to the stage. All of the members were carrying very heavy equipment for live broadcasting. Struggling with the sun pouring its heat and sunshine, we were installing all the cameras for performance. In the evening, the show was begun. Many people around the HUFS came to the stage and were watching the show. When I was at the stage with a small camera, I saw many audiences were ardent to the show. But, I was not. It was my work. I thought it is very different between being an audience and being a staff. “Central camera, hold your scene.”, “Side camera, don`t move!”, “Stage camera, zoom in the dancers.” When she led us to move or hold, I fixed my position or was moving the camera. “This job is not for me.” When I was in central camera, I said that to one of my friends. The task made us exhausted, but, we finished the second day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At the third day, the last day of festival, we were reinstalling the cameras at the field. Like second day, the show was begun in the evening. When we are shooting the show, nothing was appearing on a screen behind the stage. Because I was at the stage, I could not see that. So, my friend told me it did not work. When I was told, I was very embarrassed. “If it is not working, our efforts will be useless.” “It doesn’t work! How can we fix it?” We were very embarrassed by the situation. We called a mechanical staff urgently and asked what happened. “It was disconnected.” He said. “It is not that serious problem.” After a few minutes, he fixed it. However, we could not expect another hardship was waiting for us. “Let`s make some meeting.” I did not know why we assemble during our works. After we gathered all, the leader said, the central camera did not work. We could not say anything. We were in panic. As the last solution, we called a camera expert from a camera shop. When he came here, then, he figured out what happened and what was the problem of the camera. He fixed it and we felt very relieved. The last of the show, a popular hip hop duo ‘supreme team’ visited the stage and were showing off their performance. When they came here, I was handling the central camera far away from the stage. So, I could not watch them clearly. After we finished the festival, we felt that it is very difficult to prepare the festival and events and it is not easy to stand with camera at all times. Although we faced many hardships we were not expected, the experiences of the festival were thrilling and exciting for me and all members of HUFS MEDIA.

    ReplyDelete