Saturday, September 12, 2015

Ji Eun Bok/Week 2 Assignment/Tuesday 11am

           Writing has been a big part of my life since I was a little kid. My faded memory of the very first time I wrote something that I can call an actual writing probably goes back to my years in elementary school. My teacher had us keep picture diaries where we wrote several sentences each day and also drew pictures that went along with the diary entries. We were very young and we couldn't really manage to write longer, and the idea of a picture diary made it more interesting and fun. I still keep a couple of these diaries, and it makes me laugh to read what cute thoughts I had as a child.

           I first wrote something in English when I moved abroad and went to an international school. It was very similar to how I started writing in Korean; my teachers had me keep English diaries and journals to improve my writing skills, and I believe this helped me develop a keen interest in writing and also enabled me to improve greatly. There was no pressure as to writing for better grades, and I could just write freely on whatever topic that came to my mind. Of course, as I got older, my classes required a higher level of formal writings such as essays, and this got quite stressful later on, however my first memories of writing are very positive and full of happy thoughts.

           While I first started writing for my teachers and eventually for grades, I also wrote for fun. I kept diaries for myself, I kept secret diaries with my friends and I wrote many letters to my friends and family. These types of writing were solely based on my own will to write, so I was able to write much more casually, sometimes even using slang words and abbreviations depending on the reader. Writing for fun was indeed much more entertaining, as I did not have to worry about my teachers' thoughts on my writing and what grades I would receive.

           Unfortunately, my writing activities now mostly revolve around schoolwork. I do not keep diaries anymore; rather, I use various Social Network Services like Facebook and Instagram to capture special moments in my life and include just very short captions. This does not allow me to write with a more serious attitude than I would when writing on paper, and thus writing has become much easier, in a way. I do still write letters from time to time, but this has become less frequent as well, only writing on special occasions like birthdays or anniversaries. I strongly feel the need to spend more time writing personally so that I can balance the amount of writing I do for school and for myself. This will ease the stress and pressure I get from schoolwork and probably serve as an idea generator for writing too.

2 comments:

  1. Hello there! First, I really enjoyed reading your writing! I think it's quite delicate in the way that you described your learning process. And I totally agree with you about the idea that how technology makes people fool. Because recently, just like you, I don't really write a lot except for essays.I guess we should try to write more:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, my name is Kye-yong Lee. The fact that you kept picture diaries when you were a little kid reminded me of my childhood. Just like you I also used to keep my dairies (in Korean) during my elementary school years. But the problem was that I quit it with entering my middle school. Also, it was impressive that you enjoyed writing English diaries. I am sorry to read that you do not keep writing your diaries any more. SNS could be more fun in many ways and be a part of alternative of writing diaries. Also, I agree on your idea that balancing the amount of writing for your school and for yourself is important. I really enjoyed reading your story and I came to consider beginning to write diaries.

    ReplyDelete