Sunday, September 20, 2015

Ji Eun Bok/Week 3 Assignment/Tuesday 11am

The Mile Run

"On your mark, ready, get set, go!"
The sound of the P.E. teacher's whistle spread across the green field, and soon, a swarm of students, dressed in their blue P.E. uniforms, set out for their long journey, the mile run.

I was the never the one to excel in sports. Due to my tall height, many people who don't know me very well would initially assume that I am a very atheletic person. I guess I can say that I loved sports as a kid, as I was running all over the place with my friends, not realizing how much time has gone by and always being called back home half-forcibly by my mom. However, as I grew up, I was expected to spend more time solely on my studies, and so I used this as a lame excuse to defend myself for not getting enough exercise. On top of that, Korean public schools do not tend to stress the importance of P.E. classes and the students' regular exercising. Thus, the middle school years I spent in Korea did me no good to developing a liking for playing sports ever since I left elementary school.

When I moved to Indonesia, I could see that my new school really aimed to allow its students to experience a variety of activities. While a P.E. class in Korea was deemed to be an easygoing class, students just sitting on the benches in the cool shades beneath large trees, the P.E. classes in my school in Indonesia were quite insane. We had to try all different kinds of sports, ranging from relatively familiar sports such as badminton, baseball and soccer to even rugby which scared me a lot. I never really sweated in my Korean P.E. classes, but I always brought a towel to wipe after shower and an extra pair of underwear in my Indonesian P.E classes because I would always be soaked in sweat afterwards. My friends who were at the school told me about how hard we have to work for an average P.E. class, and they especially warned me of the mile run.

In a mile run, you are to run a mile, just as its name suggests. However, there isn't a set time for this, so the whole class would start at the same time but it would last as long as the last runner's finishing time. The number of laps depends on the size of a school's field perhaps, and in my school, a mile would equal to 4 laps around the field. It was quite a big field.

Now, I knew this mile run would have to come some day eventually, but when I actually heard it come out from my teacher's mouth, it terrified me again. I had heard stories of some students who threw up while doing the mile run and some who even passed out. I did think I would manage better than them at least, but I was still scared.

"I'll just have one banana for breakfast today," I told my mom.
"Why? That will not be enough!" criticized my mom.
"Well, I have the mile run at school," I replied.
And magically, my mom nodded her head and accepted my request to eating less. I took the advice from my friends that it is better to eat less on the day of the mile run, or else we would get stomach cramps. I really tried hard to prepare myself for the best that day.

When it was finally time, I checked my shoelaces, tightly doing them once again. Soon, the whistle blew, and I was jogging along with my friends before I even realized that it was the real start.

At first, it was okay. The weather was scorching hot, as it is almost everyday in Indonesia, but the beginning went smooth and easy. But I regretted thinking this as I finished my second lap. We, my classmates and I, had started out all together at the same start line, but as time passed, it became very obvious who could run well and fast and who struggled a bit. I was more in the second group, unfortunately, and I felt a sense of discouragement as I saw my friends who were running way faster than me. I was showering with sweat rolling down from my head and face to the rest of my body, and to my amazement, my arms and legs were sweating too. My legs felt feeble and I thought I would just fall down in any minute.

"Go, Ji Eun!!! You can do this!!!" shouted my friends from the bench. They had already finished their run, and they were getting their well-deserved rest. I really envied them.

I knew I couldn't give up. I tried to do my best, as far as my strength allowed me to, and finally, I finished my four laps. I couldn't believe I had done it! I was too exhausted to say a word, and I just collapsed to the ground, taking deep breaths to calm myself down.

This was my first experience of doing the mile run, and I had a few more trials after this. My first record was 9 minutes and 45 seconds, but eventually I managed to cut it down to 8 minutes and 46 seconds. It still isn't an outstanding record compared to some of the students who are athletes for track and field, but I was satisfied with my achievement. And from this, I learned how to persevere and never give up.


Daum 메일앱에서 보냈습니다.

5 comments:

  1. hi my name is Hajun. because i like sports, so i enjoy your writing.
    in your writing, "Go, Ji Eun!!! You can do this!!!" when i read that part, i hear your friend's shouting. it makes your experience seem real to me. and i read all classmate's writing, among lots writing your beginning raise my interest. i don't know about mile run but, whistle and "get ready", that produce a desire to read and i want to know mile run and your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, im Taek min kim. I enjoyed the writting about your first mile run. I know how it feels to run a long distance when your not ready, and I think you well expressed your feelings towards the mile run. Also, quotation you used made yor writting more vivid. Thank you for your writting and see you in class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Mile Run

    “On your mark, ready, get set, go!”
    The sound of the PE teacher’s whistle spread across the green field, and soon, a swarm of students, dressed in their blue PE uniforms, set out for their long journey, the mile run.
    I was never the one to excel in sports. Due to my tall height, many people who don’t know me very well would initially assume that I am a very athletic person. I guess I can say that I loved sports as a kid, as I was running all over the place with my friends, not realizing how much time had gone by and always being called back home half-forcibly by my mom. However, as I grew up, I was expected to spend more time solely on my studies, and so I used this as a lame excuse to defend myself for not getting enough exercise. On top of that, Korean public schools do not tend to stress the importance of PE classes and the students’ regular exercising. Thus, the middle school years I spent in Korea did me no good to developing a liking for playing sports or multiple sessions of strenuous workout ever since I left elementary school.
    When I moved to Indonesia at the age of 15, I could see that my new school really encouraged its students to experience a variety of activities. While a PE class in Korea was thought of as an easygoing class, students just sitting on the benched in cool shades under large trees, the PE classes in my school in Indonesia were quite insane. We had to try all different kinds of sports, ranging from relatively familiar sports such as basketball, badminton and soccer to even rugby which scared me a lot. I never really sweated in my Korean PE classes, but I had to always take a towel to wipe after shower and an extra pair of underwear in my Indonesian PE classes because I would always be soaked in sweat afterwards. My friends who had been at the school longer told me about how hard we have to work for an average PE class, and they especially warned me of the mile run.
    In a mile run, you are to run a mile, approximately 1.6km, just as its name suggests. However, there isn’t a set time for this. The whole class would start at the same time, but it would last as long as the last runner’s finish time. The number of laps around the field depends on the size of a school’s field perhaps, and in my school, a mile would equal to four laps. It was quite a big field.
    Now, I knew this mile run would have to come someday eventually, but when I actually heard it come out from my teacher’s mouth, it terrified me again.
    “Class, we are having our mile run next week. Oh, yes, yes, I love the looks you are giving me. Be well prepared to run your best!” the teacher told us with a big grin on his face. He seemed to have so much fun torturing us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had heard stories about some students who threw up while doing the mile run and some who even passed out. I did think I would manage better than them at least, but I was still scared. I had never run a mile before, but it felt like I could imagine what it would be like from the sounds of it.
    Finally, it was the day. The moment I opened my eyes in the morning, all that in my head was the thoughts and worries about the mile run.
    ‘Mile run… Oh my god, I am having the mile run today… The mile run. Oh my god!’ I thought to myself, freaking out.
    I went to the dining table for breakfast and made a big decision.
    “I’ll just have one banana today,” I told my mom.
    “Why? That will not be enough!” she criticized.
    “Well, I have the mile run at school,” I replied.
    And magically, my mom nodded her head and accepted my request to eat less, when she would have definitely made me eat more if it were usual. I took the advice from my friends that it is always better to eat less on the day of the mile run, or else you would be getting stomach cramps. I really tried hard to prepare myself best for that day.
    When it was time, my classmates and I gathered around the field, all dressed in our blue PE uniforms. I checked my shoelaces, tightly doing them once again. The teacher told us to stand behind the white line. It was very silent as if time had stopped, and everyone just seemed to be holding their breath. Soon, the whistle blew, and I was jogging along with my friends before I even realized that it was the real start.
    At first, it was okay. The weather was scorching hot, as is almost every day in Indonesia, but the beginning went smooth and easy. But I regretted thinking this as I finished my second lap. We, my classmates and I, had started out all together at the same line. However, as time passed, it became very obvious who were running fast and up to speed and who were rather struggling. I was more in the second group, unfortunately, and I felt a sense of discouragement as I saw my classmates who were running way faster than me. I was showering with seat rolling from my head and my face down to the rest of my body. And to my amazement, I was sweating from even my arms and legs as well. This really meant that I was engaging in a very tough workout. The mile run was beyond any and all workouts I had done, and I was truly worn out. My legs felt feeble and I thought I would just fall down in any minute.
    “Go, Ji Eun!!! You can do this!!!” my friends suddenly shouted from the bench. They saw that I was slowing down, and they cheered me on. They had already finished their run, and they were getting their well-deserved rest. I really envied them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew I couldn’t give up. I tried to do my best, as far as my strength allowed me to. I ran and ran, but my legs didn’t feel like they were mine. It was as if my muscles were moving by themselves. After a few minutes which felt like several hours, I finally finished my final lap. I could not believe I had done it! I was too exhausted to say a single word, and I just collapsed to the ground, taking deep breaths to calm myself down. My first record was 9 minutes and 45 seconds. I did not even have any strength left to celebrate the historical moment.
    This was my first experience of doing the mile run, and I had a few more trials afterwards. Eventually, I managed to cut the record down to 8 minutes and 46 seconds. It still wasn’t outstanding compared to that of the others who were athletes for track and field, but I was satisfied with my achievement. I had learned the importance of persevering and never giving up. While the whole process was very tough, painful even, that was precisely which made it very meaningful later on. It made me feel so good to have finished the mile run for myself. I was proud. When I have a demanding task now, I think back to this special experience and give my best try, because I know that what seems impossible today may be possible tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete