Sunday, November 1, 2015

Taek Min Kim/ Chapter 4 First Draft/ Narrative Composition Tue 3 4

 

                  It was a long trip from my home to my Grandparents house, when I was a kid, every time I go there I was so tired I surely needed some sleep in the car. However, when me and my family had arrived at my grandparents house I came back to life and started exploring because it was a fantastic playground for me. It was located on the foothills of a mountain which I can't remember the name.

 

Since it was on the foothills of a mountain, there was a bamboo forest which became my sword and my spear for my imaginary wars with monsters in the mountains. The monsters were always furious but I always won the war. There was a fireplace outside just few steps away from the house. The fireplace was fun thing to play with too. I loved watching the fire inside the fireplace. It was so beautiful to me back then. I was captivated by the fire dancing inside.

 

Confucian temple called hyanggyo in Korean was standing right besides my Grandparents house. It was another playground for me but actually it was a forbidden ground for me because it was not my grandparent's property and people who owned it didn't like kids running inside. But, I played inside the hyanggyo because I was curious about it. It was nothing special, just an ordinary old Korean style structure built by wood and roof tiles. However, since adults almost banned me going inside the building, it was exciting for me to just get inside.

 

 

Grandparents were the reason I liked their house too. They always greeted me with a big smile on their faces and since I was the eldest son of their eldest son (my father) they gave me so much love. They always tried to feed me something delicious and play with me, like making a sword (not harmful of course) with a bamboo or giving me something to burn in the fireplace. My grandparents house was a one of the best playground in my childhood.

1 comment:

  1. 1) What I liked most was that you mentioned the different activities you did at your grandparents' house, and these seem to be the things which many Korean kids have similar experience of. It reminded me of my grandparents' house as well.

    2) I think you can describe more about the bamboo forest and the fireplace. You did mention what you did there, but I think you can still describe how the places looked like. I think you can also write more about your grandparents' actual house.

    3) You definitely have appealed to sight, but I don't think I spotted any other senses. Maybe you can try to include more information of the senses, and this will make your essay much more interesting.

    4) It seems like a very peaceful, nostalgic place in the countryside.

    5) I think you chose to write about your grandparents' house because, just like you have mentioned in the essay, you have many memories of your childhood there.

    6) When you revise this essay, try to use information from the five senses. This will help the readers in many ways, imagining the place in their heads to almost feeling, smelling and hearing all that you have experienced together.

    ReplyDelete