Sunday, November 29, 2015

Jang Won Woo/chapter 5 interview first draft/Narrative composition Tue 11am

Respond, 1980s

Highly developing economy, political oppressions from the junta and movements toward democracy – They are the symbolic words describing 1980s in Korea. However, I do not know well about the everyday life of common people. I wondered the life of people at that time. So, I asked it of a contemporary person. He was my father.

 "Compared to now, all the elements were undeveloped at that time." He said. He described me the life of 1980s in Korea. "In 1980s, many people lived in the poor housing environment. There are so many apartments here, but, at that time, I could not see the apartments at all. In Daegu, there are just a few apartments. Most people lived in small houses which had slate roof or western style houses which were made of red bricks. Before you were born, we lived in the western style house with many other families." He told me that even many people at that time used briquettes for heating the room. I became more curious.

"What about foods? I was told fast food franchises were introduced in 1980s in Korea. When did you eat fast food first? How was it?"

"Oh, you are right. They were introduced in 1980s. I cannot forget the moment when I faced them first time. When I was teenager, about 15 or 16 years old, I went Myeongdong, Seoul with my family. I saw KFC at the trip. At that time, meats were very expensive; so many people could not buy and eat frequently as people are doing now. Fried chicken is the most common food now, but we did not have opportunities to eat it commonly. I cannot forget the moment I bit it first time. The crispy chicken made me very happy. Even flesh in fried batter was so tender." He was immersed in his happy memories.

"What about hamburger?" I asked.

"I ate it first, when I was about 20 years old." He ate the hamburger in Mcdonald. After he watched the baseball game, he ate it with his friends. "It was so comfortable for it and even delicious!" He said, at that time, it did not have many kinds of hamburger as it has now. However, as he has become older, he does not like it very much when he was young.

"How were public transportations? Were they very different from now?" I asked. He affirmatively answered my question: Absolutely different. "The first difference between today is there was no subway at all. Bus served as the only transportation people could take." It was just a part of his answer. He described his experience in the bus. "Taking the bus made me exhausted when I went to school. Almost every day, I had to struggle with many students and people who were trying to take the bus. Although I secured the bus, it was too dense in the bus. After I took off the bus, especially in summer, I was drenched with my sweat. I really hated that moment." Also, he told me that there was clippie in the bus. The clippie got the ticket from passengers and noticed a driver that it was time to arrive.

 

When I finished my interview, the interviewee smiled with his reminiscences. Before I interview him, I was a little bit worried that he is an introvert person. However, when I asked the questions about his youth, he enthusiastically answered my questions. His answers gave me the descriptions in 1980s in Korea. I can understand the time deeper than I just was provided the explanations from textbooks. 

1 comment:

  1. 1. The thing I liked about this essay was you asked various things about 1980s, so it is quiet interesting to read, especially the answer about "KFC"

    2. No, i think most of his work is queit clear. i can understand very well.

    3. I think his thesis statement is not included in your last paragraph. However, i can understand what the thesis statement is. 'Environments in 1980s is quiet different from now.' can be your thesis statement.

    4."Compared to now, all the elements were undeveloped at that time." i think this quotation is effectiv since this can summarize what his father thought about the question.

    5. Yes, i think if there were less quotation than now, it would be much better. i think quotation about your words'd be better when some of those are fixed to indirect quotations.

    6. As i told you, if you changed some unnecessary direct qiotations to undirect one, your other direct quotation can have more power than now.

    ReplyDelete