Monday, November 30, 2015

201202631 Lee, Eunyoung/ First draft of Chaper 5/ Narrative composition Tue 3-4

That's the way that mop flops

201202631 Lee, Eunyoung

 

"Can't you just right anything you want? I don't know what to say. My life has been too tuff"

It was the first sentence my grandma on my mother's side said to me when I asked her about her life. She was born in 1938 according to a family register but her real age might be about 80 years old. In earlier days, people didn't register their babies right away after birth because lots of them didn't survive. So, they wait until the babies become 2-3 years old and then put their name on family register. My grandma experienced both the period of Japanese occupation and Korean War.

"Grandma, do you remember the Japanese colonial era? Did Japanese bully you because you are Korean?"

"Um…… Korean became independent when I was second grade of elementary school. So, I don't remember things well because I was young at that time. I used to use Japanese and I was quite good at it, but now I can't remember well. I forgot everything. What I remember is that, the school distributed one shoes for each class and I got one. So I remember that. And…and… when it was the New Year's Day, I got one white bread one red... was it red..? It was mochi in Japanese. I got two breads, two. "

She was recalling her memory. She sounded so nostalgic. She also said how she cleaned school restroom and other tasks that she was asked to do for school. She was traveling back to her youth memory. Then suddenly her voice turned into blue.

"It was that year when my older brother passed away. I can't avoid telling this story when I have to say about my childhood. Korean War occurred when I was about to graduate elementary school. That summer of the year, I even couldn't eat meals well because I was so afraid of the bombs from the plane. I couldn't eat things well. I was so scared. I was too scared. That time my brother didn't go to army because he was a police. He just got married that time. At then, the soldiers from the north stayed in the mountain after the war was just over. During the night, the north soldiers went down mountain looking for foods. They came to village and often took foods or cows away. That day, my brother got the scramble order to go to the village because the soldiers came down the mountain again. And there he was killed by the north soldiers."

I didn't know what to reply after this story. I didn't know she had an older brother. I felt so sorry about her story. After the death of her brother, her father also passed away because he was so depressed and angry about the death of his son. Her brother was the only son of three generation. Her mom fortunately lived little longer than that.

"Grandma, I'm so sorry that I let you recall about the saddest memory."

"No no no, it's okay. It's a story that already happened. What can we do about it? It's okay."

After that, she married with grandpa when she was 23 years old and had 4 children. Her life was still very tuff after getting married with grandpa. She got married with him because he so loved her that he begged for a marriage. However, after marriage, he turned out to be very dissolute. He used to be a one of the wealthiest people in the village, but because of his wrong personality, he blew whole asset away. My grandma had to work a lot to take care of four kids.

Her life was too tuff to even mention. I felt that I have to thank for what I have. I'm so thankful to my grandma that she is still alive and heathy. I love you, my grandma.

 

2 comments:

  1. 1. The thing I liked about this essay was the topic. The Japanese colonial era and the Korean War are times we didn't go through, and this is enough to intrigue the readers. I like how everything is described vividly, making it feel real.

    2. Everything was pretty straightforward, but I thought it would be even better if you described your own feelings more, like how you felt when your grandmother told what happened to her older brother.

    3. I think your thesis statement is included in your last paragraph. You feel greatful for what you have now because you see your life in contrast with your grandmother's life. I think the most important idea from the interview is that your grandmother went through very hard times, and yet, she did not give up and she tried her best to lead a good life.

    4. "No no no, it's okay. It's a story that already happened. What can we do about it? It's okay." I thought this quotation was very effective because it shows where you got the title of your essay from, and it also reveals your grandmother's many years of experience and how she is now able to accept things that happen in life.

    5. I did feel that your essay is mostly comprised of direct quotations from your grandmother. Maybe in your next draft, try to put the direct quotations in your own words, leaving only the direct quotations you consider very important in this interview.

    6. To improve this essay, I suggest you check your grammar more thoroughly. Overall, the essay is interesting, but there are small grammatical mistakes like writing "right" instead of "write" which disturbs the flow of the essay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I'm TaekMin Kim

    1. What I like the most about this essay is that I get to know more about our countries oral history.

    2. I think that her writing is pretty clear for me.

    3. I think her thesis statement is "Her life was too tuff to even mention" the hard times her grandmother has been through.

    4. "And there he was killed by the north soldiers." I think it shows the war straightforward.

    5. I felt that this essay has many direct quotations because more than a half of her writing is made up of direct quotation.

    6. To improve this essay, I think you could use more indirect quotations.

    ReplyDelete