Tuesday, November 3, 2015

JeeEun Kim/ Chapter 4 First Draft/Narrative Composition Tuesday 11AM

Last year, I had the chance to go to Nairobi, Kenya to serve the people there. For the whole eighteen years of my life, I've finished a lot of countries, but have never stepped out of Asia ever before. I was excited, thrilled, nervous, and worried at the same time. Going to Africa was always on my bucket list and I couldn't believe that my little wish had been coming true!

After a long boring 18 hours of plane ride, I finally arrived in Kenya. The very first thing I saw were grass, grass, and more grass. I couldn't see an end. When I was in Asia, wherever I looked, there would be a buildings right in front of me or mountains faraway. But here, it seemed like if I walked trying to find an exit, I would come to find out that there never was one.

I expected to be hot, sticky, and humid, but surprisingly, it was dry. The sun was burning hot though. I had put on two layers of sunscreen as I stood out in the fields to play with kids. It only took thirty minutes for my skin to burn. I was as red as a cooked lobster. The wind was blowing and time to time I hid in the shade, but in that short period of time, I was burnt.

We also had the chance to go the local Kenya market. Our team were all surprised at how much international imports they had in the supermarket. After coming back to the city from the orphanage and villages where we helped out with the devastated people, our hearts were broken. The environment was so drastically big, I felt like we were in a different country. There were Africans dressed luxuriously with brand-name products. Something interesting was that, I didn't think many Asians would live in Africa, but there were a lot of Chinese. They even made their own Chinese town.

Despite the short water usage and unexpected blackouts, it was an amazing trip with extraordinary experiences. 

1 comment:

  1. Hello I am Shim Ho Seob.
    1. I liked the description about the different nature enviorment of Kenya which is very different from Asian countries.
    2. She greatly described about Kenya’s nature. But I think the essay needs more specific description about Kenya’s society.
    3. She described her experience through many sensory details. I liked the part that she couldn’t see the end of the grass and felt like she was looking for the exit. And the part that she became as red as a cooked lobster.
    4. The coexistence of wonderful and sad worlds.
    5. Because it was her first time to go out of Asian countries.
    6. It would be much better essay if the writer contrasts the facial emotion of poor and rich people she saw in Kenya.

    ReplyDelete