Saturday, December 5, 2015

SeongYeon Cho / Chapter 5 Final Draft / Narrative Composition Tuesday 3,4

 


Life I Did Not Know


  Swirling snow covered the whole town and mountains. Saturday night, sitting in my grandfather's house, warm atmosphere was around. It was my grandfather's 92nd birthday. For a very long time, I wondered about my grandfather's past. I always felt that he is a living history. He underwent so many historical incidents. After having dinner, I began to ask questions about his past. Before the serious questions, I asked him about his childhood.

"Grandpa, can you tell me something about your parents?", I said. He didn't say instantly. He said, "Well, I'm old now, so I can't really remember much. My father's name is JaeCheon Cho, but I cannot figure out my mother's name. My parents had lived in a very harsh life and had to face many incidents during their life."

I was quite surprised. I knew that he could not recall all the things vividly. However, how can he forget his mother's name? I reckon that reflects life. He has lived for almost 30 years without his mother. Futher, I think we really don't use mother's name often times. We just call them as Mother. I have only lived for 20 years. But there are many things I forgot. Someday, I may not remember my parent's name. I understood him. I think it's possible.

Then I asked him about historical memory, which was my main goal of this interview. I asked him if he remembers the Japanese colonial period.

He said, "I was young. I actually when to army three times. First was in the Japanese colonial period. When the Independence happened, I was in Pyongyang".

He told me that he was training in Pyongyang as a part of the Japanese army. Japan was in the war with China in Manchuria. The Japanese planned to send troops including my grandfather to Manchuria. But the independence day came suddenly. He said that they were ready for the war actually. They ordered to pack the luggages. But that day, all of the Korean soldiers gathered at the center of the facility. Battalion commander said to the soldiers that they can choose whether to go to Manchuria for the war or to go home.

My grandfather said, "Everyone, of course, said to go home."

The day, he described, everybody screamed in the street. And they burned every Japanese temple.

So, he went to Pyongyang station, waiting for the train to go home. But the train, heading to seoul, were full of people. Departing from Manchuria, there were tons of Japanese people, who had to go home as well. So he waited a whole day, and finally went to home. He described the feelings back then, "It was really good. Even though I had to wait a day to go home, I was very happy about the independence and that I could go home and see my family."

But, shortly after, another adversity came to him again. Korean war broke out.

I asked him, "Grandpa, can you tell me anything about the war?" He described when North Koreans came to south, "They plundered and destroyed everything. They even took people to the north. So I just couldn't sleep in my house. With few people, I often slept on the sands, near the Han River."

Then soon, he had to evacuate from seoul to the downside of the country. During the January–Fourth Retreat, which represents the Chinese invasion of South Korea, he evacuated with the whole family. When the war situation turned in our favor, he came back. He paused for a moment, then continued " Everything had burnt, even houses. So we built sort of mud hut with cottonwoods, which was the dominant plant in our village."

I don't know anything about war, of course, because I have never experienced it. Nevertheless, hearing my grandfather's words about the war, I kind of had a glimpse of it. According to him, it was an awful long time. And he didn't say much about the war. I reckon he just didn't want to recall terrible memories.

When the war ended, he had to serve with colors. It was his third army experience. He told me he performed his military duties for 56 months in Busan. And he could come home on furlough every once in 6 months. He said, "Once, your grandmother came to visit me with your elder uncle. I was so happy. But it was just once because, for your grandma, it was a very hard trip."

I always thought that it must have been very hard period back then. But, it was more than what I have imagined. My grandfather had to undergo those serious incidents. Nevertheless, he didn't let his fate bring him down.

Wrapping up the interview, this glimpse of my grandfather's life reminded me of how blessed I am. I must be grateful for what I have now. Also my respect for my grandfather became greater than ever. Through this interview, I could learn and understand him profoundly.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment