Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Lee Do Yun / Chapter 4 Final draft / Tue 3,4

<Where my memory lives>

Anyone has either good or bad memory in the past, and that makes at least one place special to that person. I also have my favorite place in my heart. For me, it is the house that I lived when I studied in Canada. It is a two-storied house with white walls and red roof with a res garage door. When I lived in that house, there was a big oak tree in front of it. The grass was tidy because my cousin and I took care of it every two weeks. In the backyard, we made a small garden on one side, where we grew sesame leaves, lettuce, red pepper, and cucumber. These vegetables were the ones used in Korean dishes, which we ate at least once in two days. On backyard, usually sunlight came in, so my cousin and I sometimes went out with a mat and books and read until the sunset. I could hear birds singing, squirrels running through the bushes, and grass blow around. It was the most peaceful and happiest time in my life. I could smell fresh flowers and grass. There was nothing in hurry or urgent, but everything there was so special to me. The calm and peaceful atmosphere of that time always makes me smile when I recall that memory. And usually, when we got hungry, my aunt came out with just baked chocolate and peanut butter cookies. I still haven't found better cookies than my aunt's yet. One bite made me feel like I was in a swimming in the peanut butter river and the other bite made me feel I was in Charley's Chocolate Factory. The flavor was so rich and delicious.

 Most of all, I was with my favorite friend, and also a mentor, Jung-min. When I stayed in Canada, Jung-min was the only person who actually took care of me. Literally, I was there alone; neither my mom nor my dad was there; all my friends were in Korea. Jun-min was both my family and my friend. She took care of me when I needed help and she played with me after school. Thinking back, I must have been a troublesome business to her, but she didn't show her feeling the whole time I stayed there. She was only two years older than me, but her mental was way older than that. Thanks to her, I didn't feel lonely at all, and I also learned self-confidence and self-regard through her. I usually got upset because I had the feeling that, because my English was behind compared to others, I was falling behind. That feeling made me easily get depressed and to blame myself for not being equally good as others. However, Jung-min thought me that I was doing fine and always encouraged me so that I could recover strength. I learned that the uselessness of comparing, the way to respect myself, and the importance to love my life by her. Jing-min is one of the most important person in my life, and the place where I spent most of the time with her, the house, is a very special place to me.

In spring, Jung-min and I made rings with flowers and in summer, we had water gun fights. In fall, we made bookmarks with red and yellow leaves and in winter, we built igloos. The house was full of my happy memory which makes it so meaningful to me. I sometimes recall the house and the memory of staying there even these days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment